Sunday 2 December 2012

Gluten-free Yorkshire Puddings - Update!

One of the things I've found hard to replicate with gluten-free flour is a delicious light Yorkshire Pudding. There is always a big difference between the normal puffy ones on the wheat-eaters' plates, and the rather flat little ones for gluten-free eaters.
A few weeks ago, I bought some Gluten-free and Wheat-free White Bread Flour from Doves Farm to make a pizza, I noticed that it contains xanthan gum which helps make the flour stronger to contain the yeast bubbles, and reasoned that it might work to make Yorkshire Puddings.
I used my usual recipe: 1 egg, 4oz flour and a pinch of salt to ½ pint of milk, using gluten-free bread flour instead of normal plain flour (see Metric Conversion Chart Page above). I usually zuzz it up in my food processor, but you can use a hand whisk or a good old fashioned wooden spoon and one of those lovely yellow stoneware mixing bowls, as long as it's beaten up well to form a creamy batter.
Make sure that your oven is really hot: 250ºC, 475ºF or Gas Mark 9, I usually turn it up after I've taken out the beef to rest. Pop in some bun tins containing a little cooking fat in each 'hole' to melt and sizzle for a few minutes, then pour in the mixture evenly and return to the oven for approximately 15 minutes.
They should rise and be golden brown. Enjoy them with your roast beef, or fill them with roasted peppers and top with feta cheese for a vegetarian alternative. Yum!
I would love to hear from you. Please tell me how you got on with this recipe.

Update! I have found that adding a teaspoon of Doves Farm Xanthan Gum, if you haven't got any Gluten-free bread flour and use Gluten-free plain four instead, really holds the mixture together, and gives puffier Yorkshires. However, make the mixture just before you want to cook it as it thickens up quite a lot and you need to spoon it into the tin rather than pouring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment